I always thought a mom was one who fixed your lunch, nursed your injuries, gave you lots of hugs, read stories, helped you with your homework, and did your laundry. A mom made life better, her children called her blessed, and it was a joy to do so. This was my vision of motherhood.
This however is not reality! I believe moms can make things better, her children will NOT always be thrilled with her and serving your family day in and day out is not always pleasant. Definately doesn't fit the June Cleaver picture I had in my head! Maybe its good we didn't see the reality of motherhood or we might not have taken on the role.
- I didn't know that being a mom was more about the messes of life than the joys of life.
I am discovering that we have the opportunity as moms to bring JOY into the MESSES of life. WE have the ability to turn pain, messes, and frustrations into moments that are tolerable. We have the ability to change what IS into WHAT IT CAN BE.
- I didn't know in order to fix their lunches day after day I would be doing midnight runs for the items I forgot, or that grocery shopping had to be done weekly, or the cost involved to feed a family of 10!
- I didn't realize those moments you nurse an injury meant listening to the deafening sound of a scream before you calm down your little one. I didn't know that it would take some creativity to get the medicine down their tummies, or the unending energy it takes to nurse a family back to health.
- I didn't know that with the endless hugs meant there were uncountable tears from both parent and child. That my emotions would be so involved in child raising that sometimes I'm not sure what to do next. Our famous line is once you have a child I hope you are ready to feel things 10 fold. You will LOVE more than you ever knew you could and you would HURT more than you ever knew possible.
My life is more than just hugging them when they hurt, but hugging them when they hurt me. There is nothing easy about loving the unlovable. (Yes, at times our children can seem unlovable!) God loves me when I am unlovable and I should parent like God parents me. That means loving them regardless of what they have done, how they have acted, or how I may feel. Am I loving my children unconditionally? Whether they give back or not?
- I didn't know when it was time to read stories I would find it so hard to keep my eyes open to stay awake. Because apparently when I sit down my body believes it is time to crash!
My life is more about LIVING a story than just reading stories. We are guiding them through this life and their story is still being written. How am I helping them in that process? Teaching and training them and pointing them to their real Father. When I view them as His children I find I am not an emotional mess and can actually guide them in a direction. When I view them as my children the burden is so heavy I cannot seem to see what should come next. God carries our burdens and we need to point them to Him in order for their burdens to not be too heavy as they go through life!
- I didn't realize that when it was time for homework I would also be their teacher! Praise the Lord I get the teacher books to help me through the process. But ultimately their education falls on my shoulders. I thought it would be somebody else's pressure, not mine!
- I didn't know that doing laundry meant the machine would run 3-4 times A DAY and that is just the washing machine. So when we talk about 3-4 loads that really means 6-8 loads. Day in and day out!
- I didn't know that being a mom was more about the messes of life than the joys.
My life is much more about problem solving than it is about anything else. My kids need me to handle this well! They need me to be more than just a mom that reacts. They need me to guide them in the process of cleaning up messes whether that be spilled milk, laundry they have hidden, or emotions flying off the end of their tongue. They need a mom who they know makes mistakes but they see her move into right standing with the Father. Am I walking in such a way that my kids see how to move from a MESSY LIFE to a JOYFUL LIFE?